Health and Safety Director
L+M Builders Group
L+M Development Partners, an established residential developer/builder, has an excellent opportunity for a Health and Safety Director to lead safety management across multiple projects including the implementation and administration of project specific safety programs. The daily work of the Health and Safety Director shall be to strive to reduce risk on all levels. This would include assisting the Site Safety Managers at each project and supporting L+M’s staff in maintaining a safe work environment, and to facilitate subcontractors with their construction efforts while implementing and helping to enforce necessary safety. Candidate must be able to work well on a team and independently.
Since its inception in 1984, L+M Development Partners, Inc. has been an innovator in developing quality affordable, mixed-income and market rate housing, while improving the neighborhoods in which it works.
L+M is a double bottom line company, where its success is measured not only in financial returns but also by the positive impact it makes. L+M takes pride in its long-standing dedication to the communities it serves, demonstrated through an annual scholarship fund, job training programs, after-school programs, and substantial support for local nonprofits.
A full-service firm, L+M works from conception to completion, handling development, investment, construction and management with creativity that leads the industry. L+M is responsible for more than $7 billion in development, construction and investment, and has acquired, built or preserved more than 22,000 high-quality residential units in New York’s Tri-state area, the West Coast and Gulf Coast regions. Community leaders, government officials, and institutional investor organizations turn to L+M because of its consistent track record of excellence.
Areas of Responsibilities & Job Requirements:
- Surveys construction projects to identify and evaluate physical conditions, safety practices, hazardous situations and compliance with established safety standards. Collaborates with staff to help facilitate necessary corrective action.
- Reviews history of accidents and claims, and prepares reports and recommendations as required.
- Coordinates safety of the project as a whole schedule, loss history, upcoming activities, etc. and provides stimulus for proactive loss control efforts.
- Manages relationships with site safety consultant.
- Reviews reports and presents corrective actions for specific situations identified by thirty parties including outside agencies.
- Conduct accident investigations and provide recommendations for corrective/preventive action.
- Interfaces with Insurance brokers, carriers, contractors and other safety professionals to direct and improve effectiveness of safety standards, codes and regulations.
- Reviews subcontractor safety programs to assure compliance with project requirements, including CCIP / OCIP safety standards if applicable.
- Ensures the proper use of protective equipment.
- Oversee, conduct, and/or schedule safety training for staff and subcontractors, including the development of presentations. Track safety related certifications and licenses of construction staff.
- Coordinates, develops and /or conducts weekly safety meetings. Audits jobsites and performs onsite inspections.
- Strong knowledge of safety compliance including federal, state, and local safety codes. Ability to interpret and apply local, state, and federal policies, procedures, laws, and regulations; including, but not limited to Chapter 33, NYC Industrial Code, etc.
- Work with worker compensation specialists for an effective post-accident back to work program.
- Reviews logistics plan regarding safety standards and requirements, as it relates to items such as protection, staging, access to the site, fencing, public safety, and equipment to be used.
- Knowledge of construction, engineering, procurement, industry standards and other project-related activities, their interfaces and interdependencies.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare administrative and technical reports.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequence of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Ability to function in a field environment (construction sites) that includes climbing, stooping, working at heights and walking long distances.
- Determines the priority of assignments based on critical deadlines that must be met.
- Ability and willingness to make sound decisions and overcome obstacles; including collaboration with others when necessary.
- Recognizes when problems exist and evaluates the facts in order to resolve issues efficiently. Ability to know when to seek assistance from supervisor when necessary.
- Displays leadership abilities and maintains a positive attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook are required.
- MS Access, MS Project, and Timberline are recommended.
- Bachelor degree is required. Degree in safety, construction management, engineering, or architecture is preferred.
- Completion of additional safety training (valid OSHA 30, verifiable certificates, etc.)
- OSHA Outreach Certification (OSHA 500/502 Trainer) plus a minimum of 100 hours training experience in construction.
Industry Experience Required:
- 10+ years of construction experience with broad residential experience including block and plank structures, concrete superstructures, steel structures, MEP systems; as well as broad commercial experience with knowledge of interior renovations, exterior work, and upgrades to building systems.
- 5+ years of progressive construction safety experience.
- Previous safety management experience for a general contractor or construction manager is desirable.
- Project size should be greater than $50mm and greater than 100,000 sq. ft.
L+M offers competitive compensation and benefits and tremendous potential with a growing residential real estate developer/builder organization.
L+M is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.