L+M Development Partners, an established residential developer/builder, has an excellent opportunity for a Preconstruction Manager to Lead the preconstruction activities for two or more projects, including projects with a high degree of complexity. Key tasks include design review and coordination, estimating, scheduling and logistics, and purchasing.
Design Review and Coordination
- Perform and manage the review of specifications so that alternate systems, components, materials, and techniques are fully identified to permit proper bidder response.
- Perform and manage the coordination of LEED and sustainable design practices in an effort to help formalize the L&M “brand”.
- Perform and manage the review of the permit filing schedule prepared by the design consultant and coordination of the expediting process relating to demolition, SOE, and new building permits, to ensure project is progressing according to the project schedule.
- Review the development of CAD drawings for site logistics to DOT as part of obtaining new building permits.
- Manage the library of L&M construction details and standards.
- Perform and manage the analysis of design details, specification of materials and equipment, and the logistics plan in order to uncover areas where more cost-efficient and/or more constructible options are available. Assess each alternate option in terms of its quality and aesthetic merit, cost savings, ease of operation, and impact on the construction schedule. Meet with the Architect, Development, and/or Construction to select the best options for the Project.
- Familiarity with standard construction details, drawings, and related costs.
- Able to think creatively and visualize all the related trade items with little detail.
- Perform site cost analysis for prospective development deals.
- Analyze construction cost vs. the latest approved project budget and make recommendations for corrective action.
- Quantify and price cost savings / value engineering opportunities. Analysis may include assessing alternate systems, components, and materials; building-specific phasing, staging, mobilization, procurement, or contracting systems; and/or installation methods, bid packaging, and field construction management requirements.
Scheduling and Logistics
- Develop a site logistics plan depicting coordination in the areas of staging, access to the site, fencing, and equipment to be used.
- Prepare and maintain a project schedule and coordinate the sequencing of the work and owner occupancy requirements.
- Analyze bids against projected budget costs. Knowledge of trade scopes, pricing, and market trends.
- Perform and manage bidding including scoping, and select subcontractors and consultants during the preconstruction phase of a project, including expeditor, fencing, surveying, and controlled inspections.
- Where required, coordinate the selection of early pre-purchase trades with the construction executive including soil disposal, waterproofing, excavation / foundations, plank, piles, etc.
- Serve as a resource to development and construction staff during the preconstruction and construction phases.
- Prepare other analysis and reports as directed by supervisors. High comfort level with quantitative analysis but also proficient in qualitative writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships and communicate effectively with staff internal and external to the company.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Displays leadership abilities and maintains a positive attitude.
- Develops and trains subordinates.
- MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, and On-Screen Takeoff are required.
- MS Access and AutoCad
- Bachelor degree is required in engineering, architecture, or construction management is required. OR Bachelor degree with commensurate preconstruction experience.
Years of Industry Experience Required:
- 8+ years Residential and/or commercial construction experience is required.
- Broad residential experience with knowledge of block and plank structures, concrete superstructure, high rise buildings, steel structures, and MEP systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of construction, engineering, procurement, industry standards and other project-related activities, their interfaces and interdependencies.
- Knowledge of safety compliance including federal, state, and local safety codes.
- Recognizes when problems exist and evaluates the facts in order to resolve issues efficiently. Seeks assistance from supervisor when necessary.
- Ability to delegate work with proper instruction and authority to complete tasks.
Since its inception in 1984, L+M Development Partners, Inc. has been an innovator in developing quality affordable, mixed-income and market rate housing, while improving the neighborhoods in which it works.
L+M is a double bottom line company, where its success is measured not only in financial returns but also by the positive impact it makes. L+M takes pride in its long-standing dedication to the communities it serves, demonstrated through an annual scholarship fund, job training programs, after-school programs, and substantial support for local nonprofits.
A full-service firm, L+M works from conception to completion, handling development, investment, construction and management with creativity that leads the industry. L+M is responsible for more than $7 billion in development, construction and investment, and has acquired, built or preserved more than 22,000 high-quality residential units in New York’s Tri-state area, the West Coast and Gulf Coast regions. Community leaders, government officials and institutional investor organizations turn to L+M because of its consistent track record of excellence.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.