Director of Tax and Compliance
L+M Development Partners Inc., an established residential developer/builder, has an excellent opportunity for a Director of Tax and Compliance. Candidate must have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
At L+M Development Partners, working together to build stronger communities is our mission. Our “double bottom line” philosophy means that we measure success not only in financial returns but also by the positive impacts we make in the communities we serve.
Founded in 1984, L+M is a full-service real estate development firm which develops, invests, constructs, and manages properties with industry-leading innovation. Most recently ranked #17 on Affordable Housing Finance’s Top 50 Developers list nationwide, L+M is responsible for approximately $10 billion in development and investment, and has acquired, built, or preserved nearly 35,000 high-quality residential units in New York’s tristate area, Washington, D.C., the West Coast and Gulf Coast regions.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Serve as point person for all tax and compliance related real estate development, operation and other transactional matters with internal and external stakeholders including Project Managers, Asset Managers, accounting and legal staff, outside accounting firms, outside legal counsel, outside partners, investors, and lenders
- Advise development teams with expertise regarding complex financing on transactions
- Ensure that there is accurate financial reporting throughout the year and, as such, regularly reviews financial books of record and various journal entries
- Coordinate and monitor preparation of annual audits as well as federal, state, and local tax documents with outside accounting firms. Solicit approvals from required stakeholders and address questions
- Ensure timely compliance with all annual and interim reporting requirements to lenders, investors and partners
- Assess and research difficult tax issues to identify solutions. Coordinate and monitor implementation of solutions.
- Recommend tax strategies by monitoring industry trends, and researching federal, state, and local taxation issues.
- Maintain compliance with regulations by forwarding/coordinating required information to federal, state, and local authorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work on significantly technical/complex tax preparations with minimal or indirect supervision.
- Proven and successful experience working at all levels of tax problem analysis, tax preparation, and resolution.
- Vast knowledge of tax laws, rules, and regulations as well as experience working on corporate-level tax analyses and multi-state taxation.
- In-depth knowledge of tax and accounting procedures, as well as tax credit programs and their related investment and financing structures.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines.
- Ability to clearly convey sensitive information both written and verbal in a clear, precise, and unambiguous manner.
- Proficiency in all MS Office programs including Excel
- Advanced degree in Accounting or relevant field.
- CPA certification required
- Minimum 7-10 years CPA Firm experience as a Tax Accountant or similar role within a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Experience in Real Estate and/or Construction industry
- Knowledge of HUD regulations, LIHTC, NMTC, HTC, NYS Brownfield Tax Credits and other affordable housing financing vehicles
L+M offers competitive compensation and benefits and tremendous potential with a growing residential real estate developer/builder organization.
L+M is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.