LMDP – Business Operations Strategy & Planning Manager
Who We Are
At L+M Development Partners, working together to build stronger communities is our mission. Our double bottom line philosophy means that we measure success not only in financial returns but also by the positive impacts we make in the communities we serve.
Founded in 1984, L+M is a full-service real estate development firm which develops, invests, constructs and manages properties with industry-leading innovation. Ranked in the Top 25 on Affordable Housing Finance’s Top 50 Developers list nationally, L+M and its affiliate companies are responsible for over $10 billion in development and investment and have acquired, built, or preserved nearly 40,000 high-quality residential units in a variety of urban markets nationwide, primarily in New York’s tristate area.
Who We Want
L+M Development Partners (LMDP) Inc. is a mission-driven company, and we are seeking an experienced professional to join our team as the Business Operations Strategy & Planning Manager. The Business Operations Strategy & Planning Manager will play a critical role in driving alignment across the company (business lines and departments) and supporting our company strategic initiatives.
Reporting to the SVP – Operations and Strategy, working closely with the Senior Team and all Business Line and Department leads, with two direct reports. The ideal candidate must be highly organized, possessing strong interpersonal and communication skills and consistently able to prioritize and manage multiple deadline-driven projects. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and are a strategic self-starter and humble, willing to ask questions, work independently, and value the team. You are not only able to identify and evaluate issues, but you’re able to develop and implement a plan, and then measure progress. The successful candidate will be a critical thinker and a data-driven professional who is comfortable communicating results in a way that other can understand.
This is an excellent opportunity for a passionate, driven, and resilient operations lead who loves to sit at the intersection of people, process, data, and culture. We hope you’ll consider joining our team!
What You’ll Do
- Project manage new operational initiatives with stakeholders across the business (senior team, business lines, and departments).
- Identify opportunities and collaborate with key stakeholders (Senior Team, Business Line leads, and Department leads) to improve processes, drive efficiency, and solve for scale.
- Drive change management efforts including assessing impacts to people and processes, making the case and obtaining buy in from key stakeholders, driving alignment and commitment from stakeholders, understanding and addressing cultural implications, effectively communicating the change, and continuing to address impacts and drive improvement.
- Directly manage Office Mangers at 2 Park (New York, NY) and 1865 Palmer (Larchmont, NY). Collaborate with operations staff across Business Lines including Construction and Property Management.
- Manage transitions process to ensure smooth transition of our assets (e.g. pursuit to planning, preconstruction to construction, and construction to stabilized) as the asset moves across business lines and departments. Ensure data and documentation are captured in our deal management platform.
- Partner cross functionally to improve process and systems, clarify responsibility, and improve the experience of our staff.
- Identify operational bottlenecks and implement scalable solutions to facilitate a growing company.
- Leverage disparate data sources to drive strategic decision making.
- Develop tools to improve efficiency of decision making (e.g. RACI, Delegations of Authority, etc.).
- Perform research and prepare business cases for potential investments and drive decision making.
- Assist with preparation for key leadership meetings (e.g. Business Operations and Senior Team).
- Manage deal management platform working with our development, asset management, and property management teams to ensure data is maintained for company surveys, RFPs, and ESG metrics.
- Lead quarterly meetings with our construction and development teams to review assets in planning and construction.
- Ensure that administrative / corporate office related policies are maintained (seating map, office manual, visitors guide, notary list, company contact list, etc.).
- Prepare and maintain assigned company policies (e.g. Business Continuity, Shield Act, etc.).
What You Bring
- Earnest and sincere commitment to LMDP’s mission and core values.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Experience working in development, property management, and/or construction is preferred.
- Project management experience. Project manager certification is helpful.
- Knowledge of the life cycle of an asset or development is helpful.
- Proven track record of success in refining existing and creating new operational processes.
- Able to work through ambiguity.
- Active listening and empathy.
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent communicator.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Outlook, OneDrive, SharePoint, etc.
- Experience with project management and deal management software is preferred.
- 5+ years of operations and / or strategy work.
- 2+years supervisory experience.
What We Value
We’ve identified a set of core competencies to thrive within the Operations Team.
- Interpersonal / relationship building – able to communicate with many different types of personalities and interact with others, within the internal community.
- Team Player – embrace collaboration, hold yourself accountable, commit to the team, remain open minded and flexible, and drive towards a goal together.
- Analytical Abilities – abile to think critically, analyze data, be creative, and solve problems.
- Business acumen – able to understand business issues – in general and specific to the company.
- Growth mindset – views failure as an opportunity to learn, embraces challenges, understands actions count, and people can develop and change.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and a cover letter that includes a compelling written response to the following questions: Why are you interested in working for L+M Development Partners? And, what about the mission statement “Working Together to Build a Stronger Community” resonates with you? (~250 words or less).
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We are working together to build stronger communities. We believe that diversity, equity, & inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. We intentionally seek team members who are committed to building and maintaining an inclusive workplace for all staff and the next generation of leaders to achieve our mission.
L+M Development Partners is an equal opportunity employer to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.