LMDP – Claim and Loss Control Manager
L+M Development Partners LLC (LMDP), an established residential developer/builder, has an excellent opportunity for an Claim and Loss Control Manager. Candidate must possess the ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
Since its inception in 1984, L+M Development Partners, Inc. has been an innovator in developing quality affordable, mixed-income and market rate housing, while improving the neighborhoods in which it works.
A full-service firm, L+M works from conception to completion, handling development, investment, construction and management with creativity that leads the industry. L+M is responsible for more than $10 billion in development, construction and investment, and has acquired, built or preserved more than 22,000 high-quality residential units in New York’s Tri-state area, the West Coast and Gulf Coast regions.
L+M is a double bottom line company, where its success is measured not only in financial returns but also by the positive impact it makes. L+M takes pride in its long-standing dedication to the communities it serves, demonstrated through an annual scholarship fund, job training programs, after-school programs, and substantial support for local nonprofits.
L+M brings a superior level of commitment to its investments in developments, and equally important, to its investment in people. For more information, please visit: http://lmdevpartners.com.
Areas of Responsibility:
Proactive management of incident reporting, claims and litigation tracking for LMDP, C&C, LMXD and LMFM. Meet claims-related department objectives and goals to drive risk mindset across the portfolio.
- Investigate and manage incoming incident reports, claims and litigation. Work with the site safety director, project site teams and property managers, construction and development project managers, legal department and ensure proper reporting practices and record keeping, providing training when necessary.
- Work directly with and provide documents / information requested by insurance adjusters, insurance brokers and internal and external legal counsel. Ensure proper coverage, reporting and documentation of each file
- Manage data analytics software in order to perform root cause analysis and understand trends across the portfolio, to inform loss prevention and control strategies. Evaluate and develop strategies to better leverage software tools to drive improved decision making.
- Interact with business partners within the company and outside the company (subcontractors, development partners, vendors, design consultants, tenants, adjusters defense counsel and insurance brokers / underwriters).
- Plan, lead and guide all incident, claims and litigation operations and activities essential to the timely and accurate reporting, processing, and handling of claims; and the prompt and equitable resolution of 1st party claims.
- Work with HR and Legal to manage employee claims
- Review and/or investigate all possible lack of coverage claims, reservation of rights, denials and disclaimers; and following-up as needed to resolve.
- Mentor and train new and existing staff to develop skills and keep staff informed of industry standards and changes.
- Conduct periodic meetings to ensure all staff is included in the investigative process
- Maintain Claims Manual and train staff on this manual and its processes.
- Coordinate and cooperate with all internal departments on claims needs.
- Participate in meetings with other departments to establish relationships, discuss reporting procedures, department services, address specific needs, and/or to conduct claims reviews, as needed.
- Participate in meetings with insurance brokers, carriers, and consultants to establish relationships and/or conduct claims reviews and build other deliverables, as needed.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in both written and verbal communications.
- Must be able to evaluate and implement a process, collect documents within a designated timeframe, and escalate issues to the appropriate parties on a timely basis within the position’s delegations of authority
- Maintain positive attitude and takes a proactive approach to job responsibilities.
- Demonstrate passion for learning and improvement.
- Demonstrate dedication to L+M staff and clients.
- Prior experience working for a construction company and familiarity with construction terminology is useful.
- Prior experience working for a property management company and familiarity with property terminology is useful.
- Prior experience with underwriting and claims is useful.
- Knowledge of OCIPs and CCIPs is a plus.
- Knowledge of NY Labor Law.
- Negotiation and litigation management skills.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Insurance, Risk Management, Finance, Business Administration or similar program or a minimum of seven years’ experience in insurance or risk management with emphasis on construction claims; or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Associate of Claims is desired.
- Construction Risk and Insurance Specialist (CRIS) certification is desired.
- New York State Property and Casualty Broker’s License is recommended.
Minimum Years of Experience Required:
- A minimum of 7 years of residential and/or commercial construction experience is required
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- MS Word, Outlook and Excel are required.
- SafetyNet, Salesforce, Timberline and Timberscan is useful.
L+M offers competitive compensation and benefits and tremendous potential with a growing residential real estate developer/builder organization.
L+M is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,