LMDP – HVAC/Energy Manager
Sustainability, Technical Resources
Salary Range: $115,000.00 too 140,000.00 annually
L+M Development Partners (LMDP), an established residential developer/builder, has an excellent opportunity for a HVAC and Energy Manager to join our Technical Resource Team that supports our portfolio of existing buildings. Candidate must possess the ability to thrive in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment.
Areas of Responsibility:
Reporting into the Director of Energy and Sustainability, this new role will be a centralized resource on energy and HVAC management that will help our teams make critical connections between HVAC design, performance data, and operations. The HVAC and Energy Manager will interpret performance data into usable insights by our design and operations teams. The role is also expected to drive impact in our portfolio by increasing the operational efficiency of our HVAC systems. Growth areas include but are not limited to: standardizing HVAC controls and building monitoring system platforms; water monitoring and management.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Energy performance data monitoring and analysis
- Monitor energy data platform, BMS, and other HVAC control systems
- Interpret data into actionable insights, including operational and capital projects
- Review data and associated recommendations with Director of Energy and Sustainability, Property Management team members, and others
- Utilize data analysis and field observations to inform design and development of new HVAC projects
- Work with building staff to resolve energy performance issues through O&M, as needed
- Onboarding operations team to new buildings, HVAC systems, and/or controls
- Coordinate with Builders and Operations teams to onboard and troubleshoot new HVAC systems and associated systems (e.g. BMS).
- Retrofit project development and oversight
- Support sustainability initiatives (i.e. boiler optimization) and oversee deeper retrofit projects (i.e. electrification)
- Support project scope development with the Property Management team on an as needed basis associated with capital events, grant opportunities, or other strategic opportunities
- Distributed energy resources (DER)
- Develop demand response protocol for targeted buildings, support site teams in responding to demand events
- Track DER performance data and centralize monitoring systems
- Support rollout of new DER assets (e.g. on-site solar and storage)
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Bachelors degree or additional years of experience in HVAC design and/or management required. Mechanical engineering degree preferred. Academic focus on mechanical engineering, building science, energy management a plus.
Minimum Years of Experience Required:
- A minimum of 5 years of direct experience in HVAC design and/or management. Preferred backgrounds include engineering consulting, energy management, and/or HVAC design and operation.
- Must have direct experience with the following system types:
- Hydronic, condensing, and steam boiler plants
- Boiler controllers (e.g., Heat Timer, Tekmar)
- Variable frequency drives (VFDs)
- Cooling towers
- Heat pump systems in commercial or multifamily applications (e.g., VRF, packaged terminal heat pumps (PTHPs), geothermal)
- Experience multifamily and/or affordable housing a plus.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with energy data platforms and BMS systems
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint or similar software suite required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Licensed professional engineer (PE) and energy management certification (CEM) a plus
- Spanish language skills a plus
Competencies/Essential Job Functions:
- Current drivers license and access to a vehicle
- LMDP utilizes a hybrid work model, with some days worked from home and others worked in the office.
- This role will is expected to spend approximately 30-40% of time at building sites
- On an average week, the HVAC and Energy manager will spend one day in the office to coordinate with the Director of Energy and Sustainability and other LMDP staff, two days at building sites, and two days at home
- If preferred, accommodations can be made to have all non-field days be in our midtown office
At L+M Development Partners, working together to build stronger communities is our mission. Our double bottom line philosophy means that we measure success not only in financial returns but also by the positive impacts we make in the communities we serve. Founded in 1984, L+M is a full-service real estate development firm which develops, invests, constructs, and manages properties with industry-leading innovation. Ranked in the Top 25 on Affordable Housing Finance’s Top 50 Developers list nationally, L+M and its affiliate companies are responsible for over $10 billion in development.