LMXD – Director of Construction Management
Salary Range: $185,000.00 to $210,000.00 Annually
LMXD is seeking a Director of Construction Management to join our team and serve as an in-house Owner’s Representative on a wide range of complex development projects from conception through completion, particularly on projects involving third party (i.e. non-L+M) contractors.
This is a unique opportunity to help guide preconstruction and construction oversight, working closely as a member of the core LMXD team and along side our joint venture partners, financial partners, and a full range of in-house and third-party design, construction and development professionals.
LMXD is the mixed-income and mixed-use focused affiliate of L+M Development Partners Inc. (“L+M”), a “double bottom line” company that since 1984 has been one of the most dynamic and respected developer/builders of affordable and workforce housing in the New York region – having built or owned nearly 40,000 homes. With a roster of more than 15 active projects, representing over $2 billion of capital, LMXD operates as an entrepreneurial investment/development enterprise within the larger platform of L+M companies. It is a growing company with a focus on culture, community, and sustainability, and a deep commitment to creating civically impactful development projects that are successful not only for our investors but for our communities, residents and other engaged partners (be they a theater, a museum or not-for-profit institution.) While LMXD partners with L+M Builders to construct many of its large New York projects, the company is increasingly active in other cities in the Northeast (e.g. New Haven, New Rochelle, Newark, Philadelphia and Washington D.C) and is seeking to expand its capacity to effectively work with and oversee third-party construction partners.
Please visit the L+M family of companies website for more information: https://lmdevpartners.com.
Areas of Responsibility & Job Requirements
- Oversee construction and constructability issues on behalf of LMXD from project planning, through budgeting and contractor engagement through active construction and to completion, primarily on projects where L+M is not the builder.
- On projects with a third-party general contractor, manage selection of, and negotiation with, third-party general contractor.
- Provide or manage preconstruction services on development projects, including cost estimating, programming, design review in partnership with the development team, primarily on projects where L+M is not the builder.
- Provide oversight and management of design and construction professionals from early conceptual stages through completion, primarily on projects where L+M is not the builder.
- Review and evaluates all general contracts, draw requisitions, and change orders.
- Bring an investment-enhancing perspective to the design and construction process.
- Prepare and/or oversee construction-related documents and budgets as may be required internally (e.g. investment memos) as well as externally (i.e., City and State financing applications).
- Review billing and provide continued oversight, ensuring project completion within budget, schedule, and established standards including LMXD design intentions.
- Liaise with various L+M departments, including L+M Builders, preconstruction, property management, accounting and others.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Sought:
- Experience working as an Owner’s Representative, ideally within a residential development company .
- Experience in multi-family residential construction.
- Knowledge of structural building systems, MEP systems, and construction and finish techniques, building codes as well as ADA standards and guidelines.
- Well-established ability to effectively oversee construction budgets and schedule and work closely with general contractor teams.
- Experience with overseeing or directly performing construction takeoffs and estimating.
- Experience in review and analysis of design and construction documents including drawings, project manuals, and project details.
- Able to travel out of state to participate in construction meetings and travel to property sites for inspections and meetings. Proficient in Procore, Bluebeam, and other management and construction software.
- Experience with scheduling software.
- Strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills.
- Knowledge of sustainable building techniques.
- Able to independently manage multiple active projects in various stages of development with simultaneous deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Interest in being part of a close-knit entrepreneurial group that is focused on helping to transform cities and neighborhoods in a socially positive and impactful manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain cross-discipline relationships.
- A Bachelor’s or Masters Degree in engineering, architecture, or construction management is strongly preferred; and real estate, planning or business educational experience would be valued.
• 7-10+ years of relevant work experience, including previous experience in successfully managing complex new construction or adaptive reuse projects is likely to be necessary to succeed in the position.
LMXD offers competitive compensation and benefits and tremendous potential with a growing residential real estate developer/builder organization.
LMXD is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.