L+M Development Partners Inc., an established residential developer/builder, has an excellent opportunity for a Sustainability Director to lead and coordinate L+M’s efforts to build and renovate existing buildings to be energy efficient, sustainably responsible and meet future code requirements. Candidate must posses the ability to thrive in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment.
At L+M Development Partners, working together to build stronger communities is our mission. Our “double bottom line” philosophy means that we measure success not only in financial returns but also by the positive impacts we make in the communities we serve.
Founded in 1984, L+M is a full-service real estate development firm which develops, invests, constructs, and manages properties with industry-leading innovation. Most recently ranked #17 on Affordable Housing Finance’s Top 50 Developers list nationwide, L+M is responsible for approximately $10 billion in development and investment, and has acquired, built, or preserved nearly 35,000 high-quality residential units in New York’s tristate area, Washington, D.C., the West Coast and Gulf Coast regions.
Please visit our website for more information:http://lmdevpartners.com. To learn more about our mission and values, go tohttps://lmdevpartners.com/our-mission-values/
Areas of Responsibility:
The Sustainability Director will lead the company’s effort in energy efficiency and sustainability as we work to reduce our operational costs, protect buildings and the tenants from the effects of climate change and lessen the impact of our buildings on the future environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the company’s effort in energy efficiency and sustainability initiative.
- Research incentives from NYSERDA, Con Ed, and other governing agencies for funding programs to help implement sustainable programs into the portfolio.
- Monitor and suggest metering and tracking tools to make data collection more effective. Suggest additional metering points in existing buildings.
- Collect benchmarking information for the existing building portfolio.
- Work with Operations and Asset Management to aggregate building surveys and reports for compliance with all local laws across all assets in the portfolio.
- Receive real time updates from Operations and Asset Management which report outliers and poor performance of buildings or their systems.
- Ongoing site visits to company portfolio to recognize opportunities for increased efficiency and cost savings.
- Reviews surveys and provide suggestions for adjustments or propose capital improvements to improve sustainability and energy efficiency. Work with Asst Management to hire consultants for these capital improvements and review scopes of work necessary for the retrofit.
- Develop protocols and standards (BMS, equipment, etc) for energy efficiency implementations for our existing portfolio as well as new construction and preservation projects. Coordinate with Development, Construction and their consultants and periodically participate in design meetings.
- Research new technologies for consistent higher efficiency products in collaboration with the construction team.
- Develop white papers and marketing materials for internal and external reporting.
- Sit on panels and forums in representing the company in sustainability.
- Occasionally make site visits to receive updates and feedback on company design standards.
- Coordinate with Construction regularly on costs, constructability, schedule impacts, track records and future strategies.
- Initiate regular dialogue with Development on future strategies and impacts to underwriting, capital and operational costs for new construction and preservation projects.
- Develop agenda and chair internal energy committee with other representatives of the company.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree required and graduate degree relevant to the position is preferred.
Minimum Years of Experience Required:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a relevant field with at least 2 years dedicated to green design, energy efficiency and/or sustainability.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required
- A strong understanding of energy modeling, PV systems,
- Passive House certification preferred
Competencies/Essential Job Functions:
- Must have a leadership ability both within and external to the company
- Should have and continue to develop strong relationships necessary to execute on our business vision
- Must have an ability to communicate calmly and persuasively.
- This position is primarily located at our 2 Park Avenue, New York, NY office and will require visits to active construction sites as well as the interior and exterior of existing operational buildings.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of this position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this position at any time with or without notice.
L+M offers competitive compensation and benefits and tremendous potential with a growing residential real estate developer/builder organization.
L+M is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.